Welcome to the Flames Leadership Network!
The Flames Leadership Network (FLN) is a new program that identifies first-year students who have the promise to succeed, leadership potential, and helps them flourish at UIC. Being a part of the FLN means joining a small cohort of students who are part of the program!
Students in the FLN receive:
- Financial Support: You will become eligible for $200 support per semester.
- Coaching: You’ll meet regularly with a Transition Coach in our Office of First-Year Initiatives, and you’ll have a coach’s name and contact information whenever you need it.
- Work: If you want to work on campus, we’ll help you find a job—up to 20 hours per week.
- Training: You’ll have access to monthly workshops offered by UIC’s Academic Center for Excellence that support the development of academic skills necessary for college success.
- Careers: We’ll offer you one-on-one counseling from our Career Services Center to ensure you’re on track to get a desirable job upon graduation.
- Academic Advising: We have a direct line to your Academic Advisor who can help you ensure that you’re doing all you need to do to graduate in four years.
We look forward to working with you this year!
FLN Student Spotlights
Cindy Noguera is a second-year FLN student majoring in Psychology. In the fall, she maintained full-time status and ended the semester with a cumulative GPA of 3.69 while balancing becoming a new mom in October. Cindy is also a student in the Honors College. She exemplifies hard work, dedication, and resiliency.
David Perez is a FLN scholar who is double majoring in Sociology and Psychology and plans on pursuing his Master’s in Social Work. In addition to working in the Gender and Sexuality Center this year, David participated in the Liberal Arts & Sciences Internship Immersion Program. Due to his hard work and persistence during his first year, David was able to earn both a Summer Orientation position and a Resident Assistant position for next fall!